Friday, October 06, 2006

Tech Sector

This is particularly about Microsoft. I've heard of their difficulties in the modern era, and I realize them. Their products are pretty *sluggish*.

Computing is like the world of economy F1 racing. If you don't make the fastest and best carputer for the cheapest, you will not win. Microsoft's products have become 'bourgeois'. Fluffy. Full of crap. Slowish in the CPU. Microsoft, is this true? If it's not true, show me.

IE is universally worthless. You can legally take many tips from mozilla and other such neat little engines. You could make a suitable technically customizable civilian browser. I have no interest in using your inbred emailing system. DON'T give me a button to do it on. I will just tear it off.

I am looking for a plain cheese pizza browser, ORGANIC, with no crap on it, leaving as much breathing space as possible for the CPU. Then I will browse from the condiments and whatever stuff I have brought with me to decorate it, obviously subject to examination. = how the consumer world works. Expect to make money around or through that system.

You can't make billions selling a giant hulking piece of junk and also have the will of the people. Right now you are struggling to have either. Why does Vista require 750Mb of RAM? That one always tripped me up, and because of the unpleasantly large cache size, I will not ever purchase Vista, and I will warn others of its foulty. If you hope to make $ off of Vista like 95, 98, or XP, you will be sadly mistaken, unless you trick a large number of executives into putting it on all their PC's, which is shameful and rowdy, and will harm the marketplace.

We work hard to slim our older [2003] computers down. Even the new ones get geeky [cool]. Vista is not in that world. Folks want to play Doom3 and have it run quickly, not by purchasing a billion megs of ram and a 4 gig clock and then running Doom3 through Vista, which is like running Doom3 through another instance of Doom3, but by having a reasonable amount of computer power and using it efficiently. Microsoft, your OS XP skips out on a dozen or more speed tweaks that have 0 reason to be off. Is this an offense? Shall we begin to investigate your fiscal and ethical earnestness? Seriously. Get on the stick. I am sure Vista could easily use half as much RAM as current and fix all the untweaked bits from XP.

You could probably make a good deal of money by typing out a small little versatile browser program, and kicking it out online. You'd make money because the program would cost like $10-20,000 to make. How to make money off this, though. Mozilla is free. How do they make money? Ads? Hey, how DO they make money? Are they non-profit? They probably do use ads. Mircosoft, you're a major company. You already have a large software and customer base. You can make more money from ads than from software, if you try. I wouldn't give you the true cred to make a tech zine site with any draw, but how long would it take your team, no, 1/8 of your team, to blast off a single well done browser that is contemporarily spy-free and will run on 30MB of ram? A day? Single digit project. "Inescapable usefulness." is the term that I want Microsoft to use. "Inescapable spaghetti."

I also really dig XPLite, even if it's not yours. I am considering it seriously. Maybe you should too. Once you've recouped your expenses on Vista... well, even beforehand, start slimming it down. Even at the sacrifice of some less useful features. Offer those things as downloadable extras, 'plug-ins'. My OS doesn't need to shave my poodle. It needs to open, have a visual display of my junk, and run my crap. Do it quick, do not leave corners. Do not ever crash, optimize the BIOS for me if you could with a single buttonclick, and run anything I say to. That is all. No lights, no gadgets, no guages. Do not automatically include WMP, QT, whatever. I can get those from the internet. They also slow it down, so I'm a shopper. Maybe sell Vista with those things as clickable extras, and cut the core size of Vista down today to ~550MB? I know you can. And if you work it will be 350 and 250 before you know it. That is 'within range'. TinyVista? Hey, what does Vista do that XP doesn't? I still haven't seen/paid attention to any of that. I say this seriously to you like an editor.

So... if you want to sell a giant Christmas tree without the spirit, go ahead, but know that it's a neon distraction and not a meaningful standby. Give the spirit.

3 comments:

William Bunker said...

http://www.thebizofcoding.com/2006/09/why_online_ad_models_threaten.html


"Why Online Ad Models threaten Microsoft Corp?

Consider some questions that come to mind often when we read about Microsoft and its desperate sounding recent announcements:

1. What is it about Google and Yahoo! that causes world's largest software company Microsoft (MSFT) to twitch? ..."

...thank you, come again.

William Bunker said...

http://www.thebizofcoding.com/2006/09/why_online_
ad_models_threaten.html

William Bunker said...

http://www.thebizofcoding.com/2006/09/why_online_ad_models_threaten.html