Thursday, October 12, 2006

Internet Mercantilism

Myspace has recently said that it may block Youtube.

This is why capitalism does not work well.

Myspace, if you block youtube, i will block *you*. What do you think this is? Tariffs of the mercantilist era? Myspace, you cannot possibly hope to make more money by blocking internet traffic. You cannot possibly expect to maintain a business or software edge by reducing your usability. Believe me, you will be swallowed like something someone didn't even know they ate.

This is also why internet neutrality is more critical than Myspace's business. If I'm blocked from youtube by my service provider, not only will I refuse to pay them for services not rendered, but I will search for a server that does provide this service flatly. Myspace, for threatening to degrade the internet, your stability has been threatened. Recant.

No comments: