Friday, October 06, 2006

Tech Sector

This is particularly about Microsoft. I've heard of their difficulties in the modern era, and I realize them. They are disliked for numerous reasons. One of the most important ones is their business practices. They face monopoly charges and fines from the EU... [but not from America?]. Their products are pretty *sluggish*.

*Computing is like the world of economy F1 racing. If you don't make the fastest and best carputer for the cheapest, you will not win. Microsoft's products have become 'bourgeois'. Fluffy. Full of crap. Slowish in the CPU. Microsoft, is this true? If it's not true, show me.

Enough browbeating. I'm here to help you. Your IE is universally worthless. It is weak because of its numerous exploits. We do not enjoy having to keep 85 updates on our computers, even from security center. This makes our computers slow and exposes them over and over to faults. No automatic updating system can make this right.

You can legally take many tips from mozilla and other such neat little engines. You could probably make a totally suitable civilian browser which would punch out viruses by not having a slot to be punched by them. I have no interest in using your inbred emailing system in my browser. DON'T give me a button to do it on. I will just tear it off.

I am looking for a plain cheese pizza browser, ORGANIC, with no crap on it, going as fast as possible. Then I will browse from the condiments and whatever stuff I have brought with me to decorate it. Those things too are obviously subject to examination. = how the consumer world works. Expect to make money around or through that system.

You can't make billions selling a giant hulking piece of junk and also have the will of the people. Right now you are struggling to have either. Why does Vista require 750Mb of RAM? That one always tripped me up, and because of that tripping and the unpleasantly large cache size, I will not ever purchase Vista, and I will shame it continually. If you hope to make $ of of Vista like 95, 98, or XP, you will be sadly mistaken, unless you trick a large number of executives into putting it on all their PC's. Which is shameful and rowdy, and will harm the marketplace.

We work hard to slim our older computers down. Even the new ones get geeky. Vista is not in that world. Folks want to play Doom3 and have it run quickly, not by purchasing a billion megs of ram and a 4 gig clock, but by having a reasonable amount of computer power and using it efficiently. Microsoft, your OS skips out on a dozen or more speed tweaks that have 0 reason to be off. Is this an offense? Shall we begin to investigate your fiscal and ethical earnestness? Seriously. Get on the stick.

You could probably make a good deal of money by typing out a small little versatile browser program, and kicking it out online. How to make money off this, though. Mozilla is free. How do they make money? Ads? Hey, how DO they make money? Are they non-profit? They probably do use ads. Mircosoft, you're a major company. You already have a large software base. You can make more money from ads than from software probably, if you try. I wouldn't give you the true cred to make a tech zine site with any draw, but how long would it take your team, no, 1/8 of your team, to blast off a single well done browser that is spy-free and will run on 30MB of ram? A day? Digit.

I also really dig XPLite. I am considering it seriously. Maybe you should too. Once you've recouped your expenses on Vista... well, even beforehand, start slimming it down. Even at the sacrifice of some less useful features. Offer those things as download extras. My OS doesn't need to shave my poodle. It needs to open, have a visual display of my junk, and run my crap. Do it quick, do not leave corners. Do not ever crash, optimize the BIOS for me if you could with a buttonclick, and run anything I say to. That is all. No lights, no gadgets, no guages. They slow it down. If you want to sell a giant Christmas tree without the spirit, go ahead, but know that it's a neon distraction and not a meaningful standby. Give the spirit.

No comments: